Propose key properties of the contact directory.
See here for more information.
A place to maintain XMTP user contact information.
- Facilitates user ownership of XMTP contact identifier
- Represents the social graph of the messaging network
- Shelling point
- Perceived strength of trustless ownership guarantees
- Censorship resistant
- Sybil resistant
- Affordable for users or providers to maintain contact information
- Does privacy matter for a user’s contact profile?
- Is there sensitive metadata, such as blocklist that will be stored in the contact directory?
- Are there existing solutions that maintain user privacy, yet enable public access to the state?
- What does interoperability mean here?
- Should users and providers have the option to pay for a contact identifier that is trustlessly owned onchain vs having a free version that is held by a trusted custodian offchain?
- How will installation keys be revoked? Does it make sense to have automated expiration?